After a successful career in the U.S. Air Force and achieving her master’s degree in engineering from CU-Boulder, Maria Orms has made Colorado her home. As a mother, veteran, and business leader, Maria supports moving Colorado towards a greener future by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, supporting veterans in finding homes and jobs, providing better funding for our schools, and ensuring everyone in Colorado has access to healthcare. Maria’s life experience as a mother, soldier, and business leader makes her perfectly suited to guide Colorado towards its future as a leader in the nation for education, the environment, and commerce.
- Create a strategic plan to transition to a 100% renewable energy environment
- Clean up our air quality, which has been an EPA non-attainment area for 16 years and is now hazardous 260 days out of the year!
- Create state-level incentives for solar energy expansion
- Have all new homes be energy independent by enacting net-zero home policies.
- A massive investment in public transportation.
- Increase teacher wages by reviewing and eliminating corporate tax expenditures
- Increase teacher wages through a credit on their taxes for teachers who have taught five years or more, and an additional credit for those who have taught for ten or more years.
- Reduce tuition for individuals at select state schools, who have spent the last consecutive five years within Colorado and want to become teachers.
- Leasing of State Board of Education trust lands to develop wind farms with 100% of the proceeds going to teacher pay.
- Allow cities the ability to enact rent control regulations that fit the local needs
- Ensure state homelessness funds go towards a “Housing First” policy
- Work with municipalities to ensure sustainable development plans that include housing match their resident’s income spectrum and have lasting and renewable guidelines.
Maria vows to represent all walks of life and beliefs, knowing that when we work together we can be a stronger voice. She has already begun talking to groups, cities, officials, and people in the community who are receiving her with open arms as a fresh but strong voice and someone who can follow through with actions for them. To achieve that Maria needs your support to fight for our communities.
Chris Ward, CO State Director of LegalShield & Former SSG, U. S. Army
“I endorse Maria Orms because she didn’t leave “service to others” behind when she left the military. We need more candidates that are looking out for the best interest of the communities in Colorado and not political party or corporate interests. I stand with Maria Orms for State Senate District 31.”
Tay Anderson, Denver School Board Director
“As someone who has fought to protect Colorado for a very long time, I have seen first hand the crises in education, environment, housing, criminal justice, transportation, and much more in our state. We need more leaders that will do what they vow to do, and Maria Orms is that type of leader. She has worked tirelessly and consistently as a community organizer and a champion to fight for the health of our people and the environment in our state. I have full confidence she will bring the same conviction and capabilities to SD31 as your senator.”
Micah Parkin, Climate & Clean Energy Community Organizer and Nonprofit Director
“I’m endorsing Maria Orms because I have seen the deep care of a mother, dedication of a soldier and intelligence of an IT specialist that she brings to all of her endeavors to protect her community and create a safe, healthy future for all Coloradans. Maria is the kind of person you can count on to do the right thing for the people and not compromise her values.”
Attorney and Community Leader
“Maria Orms will make an excellent Colorado Senator. She is intelligent, diligent, and honest. She is a bona fide progressive who stands true to her principles. She will not bend her principles to fit the needs of corporations. This is extremely important knowing that money has an undue influence in the politics of today.”